Nonprofits Hosting A Berkeley Board Fellow
Benefits for Nonprofit Boards
Berkeley Board Fellows is an experiential learning program for MBA students and other graduate students created to develop the next generation of nonprofit board leadership. Nonprofit partners welcome Fellows for an academic year as (non-voting) board members, providing exposure to their mission and the leadership that guides that mission. The Fellows undertake a strategic project identified by the Board applying classroom learnings and the expertise of faculty and coaches, experienced nonprofit volunteers and professionals provided by the Center for Social Sector Leadership. These same faculty and coaches provide training for Berkeley Board Fellows nonprofit partners on the Berkeley campus. The Center supplements training by posting relevant and topical governance research and interest pieces on our Board Fellows Resources page.
Apply and Participate
- August 24, 2018 – Nonprofit applications deadline
- September 27, 2018 – Matches of fellows and NPOs announced*
- October 10, 2018, evening – Berkeley Board Fellows Kick-Off Meeting (nonprofits and Fellows attend)
- October 2018 through May 2019 – Berkeley Board Fellows serve with nonprofits
* Please note that not all nonprofits are matched with Fellows and that the number of host applications often exceeds the number of Fellows. Fellows average eight hours/month during the program year. If you have specific questions about the application process, please email email@example.com.