Social Sector Solutions (S3)
Benefits for Student Consultants
Whether you’re pursuing management consulting career or want to work for a real-world client to make a social impact, S3 is a unique experience.
S3 brings together diverse teams of students – each team usually has three MBAs, one student from another graduate program, and one undergraduate. Student consulting teams work with the leaders of their nonprofit clients to craft tangible solutions. World-class Haas instructors and McKinsey consultants coach students to deliver polished and professional finished products.
MBA students must bid into EW/MBA 292S during the scheduled bidding times in November. See your MBA program office for more details.
General Info Sessions will be held in the Fall.
Non-MBA students (including undergrads) must apply to the course soon after.
Teams deliver a scoping letter for the client project, a workplan, storyline, midterm review presentation and a final presentation for key stakeholders.
2018 Client and Project Descriptions
2018 General Info Session Presentation
Examples of Past Projects
From shaping a foundation’s giving strategy to developing a Social Impact Bond, S3 teams make a real impact in the community. For the City of Richmond, a team designed a comprehensive business development plan. Another team drafted a marketing strategy that connects investors and social enterprises in low-income communities.
How to Join
- MBAs must bid for MBA 292S during their designated course bidding period.
- 2nd year FTMBA and EWMBA bidding dates start in the Fall.
- First year FTMBA bidding dates start in the Fall after the 2nd year bidding.
- For details and information on bidding, contact your MBA program office.
- All other Cal students must apply to be considered for one of the teams.